In commemoration of the 30th Anniversary of Operation Desert Storm, Air Force Magazine is posting daily recollections from the six-week war, which expelled Iraq from occupied Kuwait.
- A Scud missile hits a Dhahran barracks used by U.S. Army Reservists, killing 28 and wounding more than 100.
- Baghdad Radio airs Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s order for Iraqi forces to withdraw from Kuwait.
- At least 517 oil wells in Kuwait are on fire.
- U.S. and French forces secure the coalition’s western flank inside Iraq.
- The U.S. Army’s 101st Division moves north to An Nasiriyah on the Euphrates River.
- The U.S. 24th Mechanized Infantry Division turns east to cut off possible Iraqi avenues of retreat north from Basra.
- U.S. and British armored units move eastward toward Iraqi Republican Guard’s armored divisions along the Kuwait-Iraq border.
Check out our complete chronology of the Gulf War, starting with Iraq’s July 1990 invasion of Kuwait and running through Iraq’s April 1991 acceptance of peace terms.