The Department of the Air Force announced the retirements of several key leaders within the Air Force and Space Force on May 23 while also unveiling more than a dozen new assignments for current or future one-star generals.
Lt. Gen. Joseph T. Guastella Jr., deputy chief of staff for operations, is exiting the service after nearly 35 years and roughly 22 months in his current position. During his term, the Air Force developed a new deployment model in which Airmen will cycle through four “bins,” each lasting six months for a 24-month cycle.
Patricia Mulcahy, the Space Force’s chief human capital officer, is also leaving after more than 40 years of service in the Army and as a civilian. As the Space Force’s first deputy chief of space operations for personnel, she was responsible for helping to craft the service’s first human capital plan, “The Guardian Ideal.”
Lt. Gen. Eric T. Fick, director of the F-35 Joint Program Office, and Lt. Gen. Marshall B. Webb, head of Air Education and Training Command, both retired with their successors in place. Webb officially ceded command of AETC to Lt. Gen. Brian S. Robinson in a May 20 ceremony, and Fick will be replaced by Maj. Gen. Michael J. Schmidt, who is also slated to receive a third star.
Three other senior leaders in the Air Force are also retiring, according to the announcement: James J. Kren, director of systems development in the Concepts, Development, and Management Office; Dr. Kamal T. Jabbour, senior scientist for information assurance in the Air Force Research Laboratory’s Information Directorate; and Chief Master Sgt. Derek T. Crowder, the senior enlisted leader for the deputy chief of staff for manpower, personnel, and services.
In addition to the departures, the Air Force announced 13 assignments for current or future brigadier generals, as follows:
- Brig. Gen. Terrance A. Adams, director of cyberspace operations for the deputy chief of staff for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and cyber effects operations. He will replace Brig. Gen. (Select) Melissa S. Cunningham, whose retirement was announced May 23 as well, just over a year after her assignment to that job.
- Brig. Gen. Robert D. Davis, director of cyberspace operations for NORAD and NORTHCOM. He’ll replace Brig. Gen. Eric P. DeLange, whose retirement was also announced May 23.
- Brig. Gen. John R. Edwards, director of strategic capabilities policy for the National Security Council.
- Brig. Gen. Jonathan C. Rice IV, director of ISR operations for the deputy chief of staff for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and cyber effects operations.
- Brig. Gen. David W. Snoddy, assistant deputy chief of staff for cyber effects operations for the deputy chief of staff for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and cyber effects operations.
- Brig. Gen. Claude K. Tudor Jr., commander of Special Operations Joint Task Force-Levant in Southwest Asia.
- Brig. Gen. Sean K. Tyler, commander of Defense Logistics Agency-Aviation.
- Brig. Gen. (Frocked) Max E. Pearson, director of operations and military deputy for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
- Brig. Gen. (Select) Daniel C. Clayton, deputy director of integration and innovation at Air Force Futures.
- Brig. Gen. (Select) Doug D. Jackson, inspector general for Air Mobility Command.
- Brig. Gen. (Select) Nathan L. Owendoff, chief of staff for Air Force Special Operations Command.
- Brig. Gen. (Select) Jeffrey T. Schreiner, chief of staff for the Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve in CENTCOM.
- Brig. Gen. (Select) Geoffrey F. Weiss, deputy director of operations for the National Joint Operations and Intelligence Center, Operations Team One.
The Air Force also announced appointments to a number of senior leadership positions, as follows:
- Lorna B. Estep, executive director of Headquarters AFMC.
- Daniel E. Blake Jr., deputy director of staff, for the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force.
- Daryl R. Haegley, technical director of control systems cybersecurity for the deputy chief of staff of logistics, engineering, and force protection.
- Gaurav Sharma, chief scientist of the 711th Human Performance Wing in the Air Force Research Laboratory.
- Chief Master Sgt. Justin Apticar, command chief master sergeant of the 19th Air Force.
- Chief Master Sgt. Thomas E. Temple, senior enlisted leader for the deputy chief of staff for manpower, personnel, and services.