The Senate on Aug. 6 confirmed a series of Air Force and Space Force leaders to new leadership roles, including new bosses at U.S. Northern Command, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and staff jobs in the new service.
The recent confirmations include:
- Lt. Gen. Glen D. VanHerck to the rank of general and to be the commander of NORTHCOM and the North American Aerospace Defense Command. VanHerck currently is the director of the Joint Staff.
- Lt. Gen. Richard M. Clark to be the next superintendent of the U.S. Air Force Academy. Clark is the current deputy chief of staff for strategic deterrence and nuclear integration.
- Maj. Gen. Sam C. Barrett to the rank of lieutenant general and to serve as the director of logistics for the Joint Staff. Barrett is the current commander of 18th Air Force.
- Maj. Gen. Nina M. Armagno to the rank of lieutenant general and to serve as the staff director for the Space Force. She is currently the space programs director in the Air Force’s acquisition branch.
- Maj. Gen. William J. Liquori Jr. to lieutenant general and to be the deputy chief of space operations for strategy, plans, programs, requirements, and analysis. He is the Space Force’s current director of strategic requirements, architectures, and analysis.
- Maj. Gen. B. Chance Saltzman to lieutenant general and to be the deputy chief of space operations overseeing operations and cyber and nuclear forces. Saltzman is Air Forces Central Command’s deputy commander.
- Maj. Gen. Stephen N. Whiting to lieutenant general and commander of Space Operations Command. He’s the deputy commander at headquarters Space Force, previously the deputy of Air Force Space Command.