December 08, 1912

The Army’s first permanent flying installation is established at North Island, San Diego, Calif., following the arrival of the “Curtiss contingent,” which consists of Lt. Lewis H. Brereton, Lt. Joseph D. Park, Lt. Lewis E. Goddier, Lt. Harold Geiger, and Lt. Samuel H. McLeary, from College Park, Md. After the arrival of the “Wright contingent” from Texas City, Tex., in June 1913, the facility is formally designated as the Signal Corps Aviation School.